Monday, March 12, 2007

Back to Work!

It was back to work for Gemma today, after a follow up visit to the Doctor. After worrying since last Tuesday about what the blood works would show, there wasn't anything to discuss after all. He did check my chest to see if it was clearing, and he gave it a thumbs up. So it was a good visit, and he signed me back to work.

When I mentioned that we were buying some land on the island, he gave us some wonderful pieces of information. Cape Breton Island has been voted the 2nd best Island in the world to visit (Bali was first) by a fancy travel magazine, and the National Geographic voted Cape Breton the 2nd best place to visit (Norwegian Fjords were first), so we feel that really says something about our decision to come to Cape Breton.

So Jerry dropped me down to work, and I felt like it was my first day again. But I soon got myself sorted, and took some calls, and got over that hurdle. I was wrapped up in my Lone Wolf Quilt, so I was warm and toasty all day.

Everyone was glad to see me, lots of hugs, they had missed me which was nice. Several comments about how thin I looked, so I really could say 'I weigh almost nothing!' and for those who don't know where that comes from - the film 'Four weddings and a Funeral', Duckface said that to Charles at one of the weddings.

I realise one thing that hasn't been mentioned on here that happened while I was home ill, just after the previous Doctor's visit, was that our Water Tank sprung a leak. Having been told by the doctor that I needed to shower with my head in the steam, I discovered we had no hot water. When Jerry checked in the basement he found water, quite a lot. I couldn't get a plumber, so called our neighbor to see if he knew of one, and he said he would come over to look. He pronounced the water tank old and defunct, and would need replacing. So Jerry went to buy a tank the next day, and John (the neighbor) spent three hours replacing the tank. Which meant we were without hot water for two days, and I was unable to do the head in the steam thing for the Pneumonia. The reason I wanted to mention this, is more the timing of it, in that it happened when I was not working, and there was no money coming in.

What I will say is that I did have a job to go back to for now, as I discovered today that the woman that worked for Adecco the employment agency was no longer working there, which is the second time they have terminated this woman. This agency is only in this town for this company, and although there are more agency staff than otherwise there right now, I think they felt there was no need to have someone there every day. Now they send someone down from Sydney just once a week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you are getting beter Gemma and belated Happy Birthday Jerry!

That pneumonia sounded really nasty

Carolyn (from ACL)