Sunday, April 8, 2007

Interview coming up!

I got an email last night for a Telephone Interview next week for a Technical Support Representative position based here in town. The company supports an on line school in Florida. They are interviewing 30 by telephone to narrow it down and then a board interview at the end of the week. I will say I am nervous, as it all depends on your voice alone, and no allowance for being nervous, and possible garbage coming out of your mouth. They will give a possible scenario and decide based on how you respond and how you would deal with the issue. Let's hope that my nice English diction will sway them above all else.

We got yet another weekend with weather that scuppered our plans: we planned to go to Antigonish last weekend, and so yesterday was take 2, and we had a storm warning - we stayed at home, and just as well. We had lots more snow.. well 5cms overnight, and the wind has really picked up again. The problem is that to get to Antigonish you have to cross the Causeway to the mainland, and there have been a lot of accidents there these past weeks, due to no visibility and high winds, so we may have got there, but might have failed to get back across, which would have been a problem with all our babies being at home. We did go to the Mall up the road yesterday, and the car park had seagulls flying and swooping around, and although we are on the water, this was inland for them, which is a sure sign of a storm coming.

So with the wind today, I think a day in doors deciding if I am prepared for tomorrow's interview. Of course I could just forget about it, and just pick up the phone like I do at work, and hope that I can solve whatever issue they try me with. I think the crux will be - if you don't know the answer to the problem technically, how you would handle that situation, in that you find the answer then get it resolved. In my current job, you do not have all the answers, but there is a knowledge base and also if it is not there a team of second level agents and supervisors.

If you are wondering why I am looking for another job, the place I am working at is closing down, they are taking the business off shore to India, and currently we are just taking a small percentage of the calls. Most people find it very difficult when they get through to India, as they tend not to understand each other. It seems most of the new agents, are learning English along with learning the job. So my last day is the 30th April, and ideally I would like to start the next job in June, so that I begin after coming back from the trip to Wales. Jerry is starting his work placement on 23rd of April, so we will both be earning for about a week, so the following week when we both get paid, we will no doubt feel quite rich.

For me this job is not ideal, I don't think I am really cut out for support work, but this is a small town of 3,500 people, and there are not many choices. The issue of course is that probably a great many people at my current job are going to be going for this one job next week. For me I am new in town, and don't fancy my chances truly against people who have been working there at least 4 years in some cases. We have found in Canada that it is very much a who you know when it comes to getting a job, and I don't know anyone, so it may prove harder finding another job than I would like.


No comments: